November 5, 2020
Originally published: February 4, 2014
The following checklist applies to all forms of advertising including: print, radio, television, electronic media or publications on the Internet (including websites and social media sites). Please see RECO’s Guide to advertising and Advertising sold properties bulletin for more information.
Meeting the minimum requirements
- Is the name of the brokerage clearly and prominently identified?
- Is the name of the brokerage the same as the one which is registered with RECO?
- Does the designation “brokerage” or “real estate brokerage” appear with the brokerage name?
- If a salesperson or broker is placing the advertisement, is his or her name clearly and prominently indicated?
- If a salesperson or broker is identified, is the name used the same as the one which is registered with RECO?
- If a salesperson or broker is identified, the applicable description must be used:
- real estate agent
- real estate salesperson
- sales representative
- real estate sales representative
- REALTOR® salesperson*
- broker of record
- real estate broker
- real estate broker of record
- broker real estate agent
- REALTOR® broker*
- or the French equivalents
* Limited to Canadian Real Estate Association members in good standing
Avoiding prohibited content
- Are all statements factually correct, accurate and verifiable? You must say what you mean, and mean what you say.
- Is all text clearly legible by the intended audience?
- If a comparative claim is made, has the basis of the claim or other information been included to avoid misleading the audience?
- If a statement regarding business volume or trading activity is made, has sufficient information been included to avoid misleading the audience or otherwise appearing to be inaccurate?
- If a promise or offer is made, have any conditions or limitations been identified?
- If the conditions or limitations are not spelled out, is information provided about where to obtain the complete conditions or limitations?
- If an honour or award is mentioned, has the source, date or other information been included to avoid misleading the audience or otherwise appearing to be inaccurate? If it is a team award, is that fact and the size of the team evident?
- Don’t use words or terms to describe a brokerage, broker or salesperson that could be confused with the applicable descriptions noted within this document.
- Don’t include anything, such as images or text, that could be used to identify a specific property, unless written consent of the owner has been obtained.
- Don’t include anything that could be used to identify a party to a transaction, unless written consent from that party has been obtained.
- Don’t include anything that could be used to determine the contents of an agreement, unless written consent from all parties has been obtained.