“Ask Joe” is a question and answer column by RECO’s Registrar Joe Richer that appears in the Toronto Star.
Joe answers questions from readers on a variety of topics including protecting your deposit, bully offers, bidding wars and how real estate agents get paid.
Ask Joe columns are for general information purposes only and do not constitute legal or other professional advice. Seek the counsel of a real estate lawyer and salesperson on questions regarding your own real estate transactions.
Are you a home buyer or seller with a question?
- I’m planning on selling my home in the next few months. Some of the homes that have sold recently in my area went into bidding wars. Is there anything I should know if my home receives multiple offers?
- I’m looking to buy a newly built home. Should I still work with a real estate agent?
- I’ve heard many terms when referring to people who sell real estate. What’s the difference between an agent, salesperson and broker?
- I’ve already signed the paperwork to sell my house, but now I need to change the closing date. Can I change the Agreement of Purchase and Sale after the fact?
- What steps can I take to protect myself against buying a former marijuana grow-op?
- As a buyer, how do I know the information from the online listing is accurate? If it isn’t, is there anything I can do about it?
- Should I approach a home being sold ‘as is’ any differently from other listings?
- What’s your advice on how to approach a bidding war?