“Ask Joe” is a question and answer column by RECO’s Registrar Joe Richer that appears in the Toronto Star.
Richer answers questions from readers on a variety of topics, including how to spot a former grow-op, protecting your deposit and what to disclose in multiple offers.
Ask Joe columns are for general information purposes only and do not constitute legal or other professional advice. Seek the counsel of a real estate lawyer and salesperson on questions regarding your own real estate transactions.
Are you a home buyer or seller with a question?
- I put down a large deposit when I bought my home, but the closing date is six months away. The brokerage holding the deposit has to pay me interest on it, right?
- I’m thinking about buying a “power of sale” home. Is there anything I need to know?
- Our children have moved out and we are recently retired, so we are thinking about moving into a smaller home. Do you have any advice before we put our house up for sale?
- I’m trying to buy a house and my real estate representative isn’t meeting my expectations with the house hunt. What can I do about it?
- I’m buying a home where the listing salesperson is from the same brokerage as my salesperson. Is there anything I should be concerned about?
- We’re thinking about downsizing to a smaller home. Having been out of the real estate market for many years, how do we find a representative to help us buy and sell?
- My real estate professional is offering a rebate if we I work with them to buy a home. Is that allowed?
- Can a real estate professional help me find a place to rent?