“Ask Joe” is a question and answer column by RECO’s Registrar Joe Richer that appears in the Toronto Star.
Richer answers questions from readers on a variety of topics, including how to spot a former grow-op, protecting your deposit and what to disclose in multiple offers.
Are you a home buyer or seller with a question?
- I heard there are new rules about how real estate professionals handle offers. How will this affect me when I buy a home?
- I put down a large deposit when I bought my home, but the closing date is six months away. The brokerage holding the deposit has to pay me interest on it, right?
- I’m thinking about buying a “power of sale” home. Is there anything I need to know?
- Our children have moved out and we are recently retired, so we are thinking about moving into a smaller home. Do you have any advice before we put our house up for sale?
- I’m trying to buy a house and my real estate representative isn’t meeting my expectations with the house hunt. What can I do about it?
- I’m buying a home where the listing salesperson is from the same brokerage as my salesperson. Is there anything I should be concerned about?
- We’re thinking about downsizing to a smaller home. Having been out of the real estate market for many years, how do we find a representative to help us buy and sell?
- My real estate professional is offering a rebate if we I work with them to buy a home. Is that allowed?