“Ask Joe” is a question and answer column by RECO’s Registrar Joe Richer that appears in the Toronto Star.
Richer answers questions from readers on a variety of topics, including how to spot a former grow-op, protecting your deposit and what to disclose in multiple offers.
Are you a home buyer or seller with a question?
- My home is on the market and we’d like to have an open house. What should we do to prepare for it?
- I’m about to put my home up for sale and my representative has suggested using a lockbox for the key. How will that work?
- I’ve been hearing a lot about real-estate assignments lately. What are they and why is there so much attention on them?
- When we submitted an offer on a home, our sales rep had us use an app with an electronic signature, instead of signing a paper copy. Is that allowed?
- We were looking at a house and the listing information included an outdoor hot tub that was embedded in the deck. We included the hot tub in our offer, but during negotiations the sellers removed it. Is that allowed?
- My offer to buy a home was accepted but then the home inspection found a major issue. What are my options?
- Before I purchase a home, how do I determine what it will cost me each month to carry it?
- I have just accepted a conditional offer on my house. Can I still look at other offers?