“Ask Joe” is a question and answer column by RECO’s Registrar Joe Richer that appears each Saturday in the Toronto Star.
Richer answers questions from readers on a variety of topics, including how to spot a former grow-op, protecting your deposit and what to disclose in multiple offers.
Are you a home buyer or seller with a question?
- I’m selling my home, and I’m underwhelmed by my salesperson’s marketing plan. She’s the expert, so should I keep quiet and go along with it?
- With marijuana about to be legalized, I’m concerned about buying a former grow-op. Does the seller need to disclose this information?
- I’m buying a house, and I’ve found a great salesperson who wants me to sign a BRA. Is this just a formality?
- I’m looking to sell my house and my parents think I should hire their old friend Angela. Is one agent pretty much the same as any other agent?
- I bought a house earlier in the summer and I just discovered that the furnace needs to be replaced. What are my options?
- If I sign a Listing Agreement, what are my responsibilities?
- I spoke to a real estate salesperson who offered to buy my house if he can’t sell it after a certain length of time. Can he do this, and should I sign him as my rep?
- I’m selling my home and my real estate salesperson has suggested putting the key to my front door inside a lockbox. I see them everywhere; what should I know about them?