“Ask Joe” is a question and answer column by RECO’s Registrar Joe Richer that appears each Saturday in the Toronto Star.
Richer answers questions from readers on a variety of topics, including how to spot a former grow-op, protecting your deposit and what to disclose in multiple offers.
Are you a home buyer or seller with a question?
- I’m buying a condo, and my salesperson wants to include a condition about the status certificate. What does that mean?
- Does it matter if I come along for the home inspection? Can’t I get all the info I need from the inspector’s report?
- I just bought a new home, but when I moved in I saw that the washer and dryer set was removed by the previous owners. Don’t these appliances now belong to me?
- How can I avoid buying a home in a noisy neighbourhood?
- I’m interested in hiring a real estate salesperson who is offering a rebate for working with them. How do I know I will be guaranteed the rebate?
- I understand the government will review the rules around multiple representation. Do you know when this will happen and what could change?
- I’m planning to buy a home after being out of the market nearly 25 years. My real estate broker suggested we use an electronic signature to sign my offer. Is that allowed?
- A home I tried to buy was sold to someone who offered less. Doesn’t the seller have to accept the highest offer?