Drones – Did you know?

Using an aerial drone to take photos or videos can provide a unique perspective on a property that’s on the market. However, registrants should be aware that there are stringent rules and regulations regarding the use of drones.

Drones, or unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV), fall under Transport Canada jurisdiction. If you want to operate a drone you are required to obtain insurance coverage and approval from Transport Canada – a process that can be quite lengthy.

You’ll also need to obtain a special operations flight certificate (SOFC) from Transport Canada before each flight. Failure to obtain an SOFC can result in penalties in the amount of $5,000 for an individual and $25,000 for a corporation.

RECO does not regulate the use of drones. Information on how to apply to conduct a drone flight can be found on Transport Canada’s website.

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Addthis
  • LinkedIn
  • Email
  • Print
PDF Online
  • MyWeb Registrant Login

  • Look up a salesperson or brokerage

  • File a complaint

  • Public Advisories

  • Real Estate Education Programs

  • Ministry of Government and Consumer Services website