“Ask Joe” is a question and answer column by RECO’s Registrar Joe Richer that appears in the Toronto Star.
Joe answers questions from readers on a variety of topics including protecting your deposit, bully offers, bidding wars and how real estate agents get paid.
Ask Joe columns are for general information purposes only and do not constitute legal or other professional advice. Seek the counsel of a real estate lawyer and salesperson on questions regarding your own real estate transactions.
Are you a home buyer or seller with a question?
- What happens if the registered real estate professional is a relative of the buyer or the seller? Is this allowed?
- I’m house hunting and heard that it’s important to check the radon levels in a home. How do I do that and what should I be looking out for?
- I’ll be looking for my first home soon, and I’m trying to wrap my head around the difference between RECO and Tarion. Can you help me sort it out?
- I’m getting married in a few months and we want to buy our first home, likely a condo. Is buying a condo any different from buying a house?
- What happens if the home inspection uncovers unexpected repairs?
- The last time I bought a house, I was given 10 days to meet the conditions, but this time I was told it was only five days. Is this something we can negotiate?
- What kind of education does a real estate salesperson receive? How can I be sure they have the knowledge they need to help me sell my home?
- After I bought my house, I asked my insurer to provide coverage for the property. They refused to insure it. What can we do?