“Ask Joe” is a question and answer column by RECO’s Registrar Joe Richer that appears in the Toronto Star.
Richer answers questions from readers on a variety of topics, including how to spot a former grow-op, protecting your deposit and what to disclose in multiple offers.
Ask Joe columns are for general information purposes only and do not constitute legal or other professional advice. Seek the counsel of a real estate lawyer and salesperson on questions regarding your own real estate transactions.
Are you a home buyer or seller with a question?
- I need to sell my home quickly and am considering a local agent who advertises “Your home sold or I buy it!” What do I need to know before I sign up?
- It seems like buying or selling a home requires a lot of paperwork. What can I expect?
- I’m selling my home and my salesperson has offered to lower their commission if the buyer is represented by them as well. Is that allowed?
- I’m purchasing a home and before the deal closes there will be a home inspection. What do I need to know about the inspection process?
- I’ve made my offer to buy a home conditional on a home inspection. But how do I choose a home inspector? There are so many options.
- My family is in the market for a home, and we’re considering a lot of older neighbourhoods. I’m worried we’ll end up in a house with lead pipes. How can I find out before I buy?
- I found a great home and my offer has been accepted. What do I do now?
- Do I have to sign a buyer representation agreement?