“Ask Joe” is a question and answer column by RECO’s Registrar Joe Richer that appears in the Toronto Star.
Richer answers questions from readers on a variety of topics, including how to spot a former grow-op, protecting your deposit and what to disclose in multiple offers.
Ask Joe columns are for general information purposes only and do not constitute legal or other professional advice. Seek the counsel of a real estate lawyer and salesperson on questions regarding your own real estate transactions.
Are you a home buyer or seller with a question?
- My salesperson and I agreed that my home needed staging before it was listed. I was later surprised to be presented with a bill for it – shouldn’t my listing brokerage cover the staging costs as a part of their services to me?
- If I sell my property after my listing agreement with the brokerage ends, do I still have to pay a commission to the brokerage?
- My offer on a property was accepted with a $20,000 deposit owed on acceptance. Because I held back the deposit to make sure that the home passed an inspection, the seller terminated the agreement and might seek damages; but I still want the property. Does the seller have the right to terminate just because I didn’t pay the deposit on time?
- I am selling my property, if I accept an offer that is conditional on the buyer selling their existing home, can I still consider other offers in case they can’t sell their home?
- I am planning to list my home for sale next month, a couple of years ago I noticed a small crack in the foundation where a small amount of water was leaking through. It only leaks a very little bit during extremely heavy rainstorms. Can I tell my salesperson not to tell potential buyers about it?
- I bought a property some time ago and listing photos are still online in advertising done by the seller’s brokerage. I’d like them removed, can RECO do this for me?
- My partner and I want to retire and downsize. Neither of us has ever lived in a condominium. What should we be looking for in terms of amenities?
- My sibling and I want to buy a home together – where should we start?