“Ask Joe” is a question and answer column by RECO’s Registrar Joe Richer that appears in the Toronto Star.
Richer answers questions from readers on a variety of topics, including how to spot a former grow-op, protecting your deposit and what to disclose in multiple offers.
Ask Joe columns are for general information purposes only and do not constitute legal or other professional advice. Seek the counsel of a real estate lawyer and salesperson on questions regarding your own real estate transactions.
Are you a home buyer or seller with a question?
- I recently learned that the salesperson for a property I’d like to buy is the seller’s sister. Is this allowed?
- My husband and I have found the perfect home. I’ve been told that multiple offers are being accepted at a specific time. Are we able to see what others are offering before we make ours?
- How can I be sure that my personal information is safe when shopping for a home online?
- My property will be listed for sale in a couple of weeks. I’ve worked with my salesperson to establish COVID-19 safety protocols. Are there other safety considerations that I should be addressing?
- I’ve sold my place and will be moving out of the province. I’m not taking most of my furniture with me. Can I leave it for the new owners?
- I’m a dog owner and looking to leave my house for a condo. How can I know that having dogs in my new condo won’t be a problem?
- I recently read an article that said we’re in a “Seller’s Market”. What does that mean?
- I’m looking to purchase a home in a historic district, but I want to be sure that it isn’t haunted. Do you have any advice that you could share?