“Ask Joe” is a question and answer column by RECO’s Registrar Joe Richer that appears in the Toronto Star.
Richer answers questions from readers on a variety of topics, including how to spot a former grow-op, protecting your deposit and what to disclose in multiple offers.
Ask Joe columns are for general information purposes only and do not constitute legal or other professional advice. Seek the counsel of a real estate lawyer and salesperson on questions regarding your own real estate transactions.
Are you a home buyer or seller with a question?
- I bought a house, but the deal didn’t close. What happens to my deposit being held by the listing brokerage?
- We were involved in competing bids on a home and lost out, but the seller accepted an offer that was lower than ours. Doesn’t the seller have to accept the highest offer?
- Why are homes being sold for more than their asking price? Are sellers allowed to under-list their properties?
- What are some of the things I need to consider when I start looking for a cottage to buy?
- I’m selling my home and my sales rep wants to use a lockbox. How can I ensure that my home is safe?
- We’re trying to find a home in this hot market and were told we should waive certain conditions when we submit offers. What should we be worried about?
- We are buying a home in this hot market and trying to set our budget. What are some of the types of costs we can expect?
- I’m trying to purchase a home and was asked to sign a buyer representation agreement. Should I do this?