“Ask Joe” is a question and answer column by RECO’s Registrar Joe Richer that appears in the Toronto Star.
Richer answers questions from readers on a variety of topics, including how to spot a former grow-op, protecting your deposit and what to disclose in multiple offers.
Are you a home buyer or seller with a question?
- What does the Real Estate Council of Ontario (RECO) do? How does it serve the public?
- I’m thinking it’s time to upsize to a bigger home. Is it a better idea to buy the new home before I sell my current place, or vice-versa?
- I’m thinking about buying my first home this year. What can you tell me about putting down a deposit, and how much will a deposit cost me?
- My real estate salesperson asked if she could put the key to my home in a lockbox because I can’t attend daytime showings. What do I need to know about lockboxes, and how should we discuss this matter?
- I’m unhappy with my real estate salesperson and I’m not sure I want to work with him anymore. Can I cut him out of the process and deal with the seller’s agent myself?
- It’s funny – I recently visited a home for sale, and I’m sure the square footage looked somewhat smaller than the information contained in the listing. Aren’t listings supposed to be accurate? (Part Two)
- It’s funny – I recently visited a home for sale, and I’m sure the square footage looked somewhat smaller than the information contained in the listing. Aren’t listings supposed to be accurate? (Part One)
- You often advise home buyers to interview potential salespeople, but won’t my salesperson also interview me? What sort of questions should I expect them to ask?