“Ask Joe” is a question and answer column by RECO’s Registrar Joe Richer that appears in the Toronto Star.
Richer answers questions from readers on a variety of topics, including how to spot a former grow-op, protecting your deposit and what to disclose in multiple offers.
Are you a home buyer or seller with a question?
- I’m selling my home and would like my salesperson to host an Open House. I understand this is not possible due to a provincial ban. Can I ask they book back-to-back showings, instead?
- My mom lives in a neighbourhood that has been undergoing gentrification and, until the pandemic hit, many owners had been downsizing. She has been approached by someone who is telling her that she had better sell now. It seems that the person was using the pandemic to get her to sell her home. Do you have any advice?
- I’m planning to list my cottage for sale. Since it is currently vacant, can my real estate person host open houses during the state of emergency in Ontario?
- I’ll be moving in a few weeks and am concerned about moving into a home that was previously occupied, during the COVID-19 pandemic. Is the seller obligated to have the property cleaned and sanitized before I take possession?
- I recently purchased a home and have now been laid-off due to COVID-19. I also wonder now if I paid too much for the property. Can I walk away from the Purchase Agreement?
- What is a COVID-19 clause, and should I include one in my purchase offer? Are there any other special clauses or waivers that I should include if I buy a property during the current pandemic?
- I recently sold a property. The purchase agreement includes two pre-closing visits for the new owners and an inspection by an engineer. How can I protect myself, the buyers and the specialists that need access to the property?
- I’ve been reading a lot about physical distancing and limiting in-person interactions when viewing or listing properties, when it comes to finalizing a purchase, are e-signatures an option or do purchase agreements require in-person signatures?