“Ask Joe” is a question and answer column by RECO’s Registrar Joe Richer that appears in the Toronto Star.
Richer answers questions from readers on a variety of topics, including how to spot a former grow-op, protecting your deposit and what to disclose in multiple offers.
Are you a home buyer or seller with a question?
- Is it better to buy first and sell later, or vice versa?
- How does co-op ownership differ from other types of home ownership?
- I fell in love with a home, largely due its award-worthy garden and landscaping. The garden consists of thousands of dollars’ worth of mature perennials. How can I be sure the sellers won’t take them with them when they move?
- I recently went to see a condo, and the concierge asked to see my real estate salesperson’s “certificate” before we were permitted to access the building. Does this have something to do with new measures in place during the pandemic?
- I’m looking to purchase a property that includes a basement apartment for rental purposes. How can I tell if it meets safety codes and bylaw requirements?
- I want to buy a pre-construction home. Do I need a real estate salesperson to arrange the purchase?
- The property I live in is for sale and someone in my household is immuno-compromised, elderly and considered to be in a high-risk category for contracting COVID-19. Do I have to allow people in my home?
- I’m ready to sell my cottage but live in the GTA. Given open houses are off the table, I would like to have a brokerage near the cottage conduct private showings, and handle the sale as needed, but I don’t really know any real estate salespersons in that area. Can my local salesperson recommend a brokerage near my cottage to list my property?