“Ask Joe” is a question and answer column by RECO’s Registrar Joe Richer that appears in the Toronto Star.
Richer answers questions from readers on a variety of topics, including how to spot a former grow-op, protecting your deposit and what to disclose in multiple offers.
Ask Joe columns are for general information purposes only and do not constitute legal or other professional advice. Seek the counsel of a real estate lawyer and salesperson on questions regarding your own real estate transactions.
Are you a home buyer or seller with a question?
- My daughter is going to a post-secondary institution out of town this year. What advice do you have to help me decide whether to buy an investment property near campus for her to live in, or simply rent?
- What are the benefits of working with a real estate professional when buying a home?
- When I arrange a mortgage to buy a home, do I have to get mortgage insurance?
- What is the difference between a deposit and a down payment in real estate?
- I’m planning to buy my first home this year. What steps should I take before getting started?
- I know RECO is the regulator for real estate salespeople and brokerages in Ontario. What happens after I file a complaint?
- Are the rules for real estate agents and brokerages reviewed and updated? How often?
- We are finding ourselves in bidding wars with multiple offers being held until a specific date and time. The process feels wrong and unfair. What are the rules?