“Ask Joe” is a question and answer column by RECO’s Registrar Joe Richer that appears in the Toronto Star.
Richer answers questions from readers on a variety of topics, including how to spot a former grow-op, protecting your deposit and what to disclose in multiple offers.
Are you a home buyer or seller with a question?
- I’m getting ready to sell my home, I plan to sell it without the assistance of a real estate professional. Is it possible to put a property on MLS®, without being a real estate salesperson?
- I’ve accepted a promotion and will be relocating to another province. I live in Toronto and keep hearing that selling a home during the winter can be a challenge. Is there any truth to this?
- I’m in the market to purchase a townhome. I’ve been asked by real estate brokerages if I’m looking to sign with them as a client or as a customer. What’s the difference?
- I’m planning to buy my first home this year, and am looking for a brokerage and salesperson to help me. How do I know if they are registered?
- Why do I get asked if I’m working with a salesperson when I attend open houses on my own?
- I would like to take photos/video of the properties I visit so I can remember them later. Am I allowed to take photos in someone else’s home?
- I see real estate salespeople offering a service called a Market Evaluation or Comparative Market Analysis. What is the difference between this and an Appraisal?
- With the changes that the provincial government is making to real estate laws, how will I be affected when I buy or sell a home?