“Ask Joe” is a question and answer column by RECO’s Registrar Joe Richer that appears in the Toronto Star.
Richer answers questions from readers on a variety of topics, including how to spot a former grow-op, protecting your deposit and what to disclose in multiple offers.
Ask Joe columns are for general information purposes only and do not constitute legal or other professional advice. Seek the counsel of a real estate lawyer and salesperson on questions regarding your own real estate transactions.
Are you a home buyer or seller with a question?
- We are first time buyers who’ve been frustrated by the hot real estate market we are searching in. What advice or tips do you have?
- My home isn’t for sale, but I received a letter in my mailbox that included an offer to buy my place. Is this allowed?
- A neighbourhood acquaintance, who happens to be a real estate salesperson, said they’d like to buy my home when I mentioned I was interested in selling. Is this allowed?
- I plan to move to Canada to study in Toronto in 2022. I recently read that many people are moving out of the city’s core and that now is a good time to buy. What advice can you give a potential buyer like me?
- My salesperson showed us two property listings and, in both instances, we wanted to submit an offer. But the properties were sold before the posted offer date. How can this happen?
- I’m preparing to buy my first home; I recently lost my job due to COVID-19 and collected the CERB benefit. I’m now looking for a new job. Can I use my past income on my mortgage application?
- Now that cannabis is legal, are marijuana grow houses still something to be concerned about?
- I’m looking to buy my first property; it’ll be a condo. Where should I start and where can I find more information?