“Ask Joe” is a question and answer column by RECO’s Registrar Joe Richer that appears in the Toronto Star.
Richer answers questions from readers on a variety of topics, including how to spot a former grow-op, protecting your deposit and what to disclose in multiple offers.
Are you a home buyer or seller with a question?
- With the changes that the provincial government is making to real estate laws, how will I be affected when I buy or sell a home?
- My home is listed for sale and I’m working with my salesperson to schedule some open houses over the holidays. With so many gifts in my home, I’m concerned about possible theft. Is there something I can do to safeguard my holiday shopping?
- I’m considering buying a heritage home, what do I need to know?
- I’ve been reading a lot in the news about lead pipes. I’m currently in the market to purchase a home — what questions should I ask of my salesperson and the current homeowner?
- I’m going through a divorce, are two agents allowed to represent both myself and my soon-to-be ex in selling our home? How does this change the process of selling a property?
- I’m looking to sell my property; it has an apartment with a washroom and small kitchenette – can I ask my salesperson to include “separate apartment” in the listing?
- I am looking for a salesperson to help me sell my house. I recently contacted a brokerage that advertises that if they don’t find a buyer for your home, they will buy it. How does this work and how can I be sure that I’m getting top dollar for my property?
- I recently mentioned that I’m house hunting to someone and they suggested that I ask my salesperson about “stigmas”. What were they referring to?