“Ask Joe” is a question and answer column by RECO’s Registrar Joe Richer that appears in the Toronto Star.
Richer answers questions from readers on a variety of topics, including how to spot a former grow-op, protecting your deposit and what to disclose in multiple offers.
Are you a home buyer or seller with a question?
- My mom’s neighbourhood is undergoing gentrification and many owners are downsizing. She has been approached on numerous occasions by real estate agents and potential buyers who have asked if she wants to sell her home. Do you have any advice?
- My wife and I have lived in the same house since the early-1970s and we’re thinking about downsizing. How should we get started, and how has the market changed?
- My husband and I are interested in purchasing a condo. Is buying one very different from purchasing a house? How do we get started? (Part Two)
- My husband and I are interested in purchasing a condo. Is buying one very different from purchasing a house? How do we get started? (Part One)
- I’ve noticed your column gives good advice but never gets into the nitty-gritty details of how to get the best deal on a home. What sort of questions should your readers ask you?
- My salesperson suggested I should make my offer on a certain home (it’s a gorgeous old Victorian) conditional on it passing a home inspection. Do I really need to do that?
- My family is interested in buying a cottage; are there any special considerations we should know about before we get started?
- My real estate salesperson wants to host an open house in my home, but I’m undecided. What happens if something gets broken or stolen?