“Ask Joe” is a question and answer column by RECO’s Registrar Joe Richer that appears each Saturday in the Toronto Star.
Richer answers questions from readers on a variety of topics, including how to spot a former grow-op, protecting your deposit and what to disclose in multiple offers.
Are you a home buyer or seller with a question?
- If I accept an offer on my home that is conditional on the buyer selling their existing home, can I still consider other offers in case they don’t sell their home?
- I’m selling my home and my sales rep wants to use a lockbox. How can I ensure that my home is safe?
- I interviewed a number of potential real-estate sales representatives and have chosen one to help me buy a home. What do I need to know about the buyer representation agreement before signing?
- I’m buying a home for the first time. What do I need to know about choosing and working with a real-estate salesperson?
- I’m buying my first home. Is there a standard amount that I should offer as a deposit?
- My brother is a real-estate salesperson. If he helps me sell my home at no charge, does he still have to follow all the rules for real-estate professionals? Isn’t it just a private service if he’s helping me as a family member?
- Does my salesperson have to tell potential buyers that my home is a former grow-op?
- Do you have any tips on preparing for an open house?