“Ask Joe” is a question and answer column by RECO’s Registrar Joe Richer that appears each Saturday in the Toronto Star.
Richer answers questions from readers on a variety of topics, including how to spot a former grow-op, protecting your deposit and what to disclose in multiple offers.
Are you a home buyer or seller with a question?
- I’ve got to find a place closer to my job, but I don’t know about the neighbourhoods I’m considering. What sort of research should I undertake?
- I was recently offered an amazing job on the West Coast, so I’ll have to sell my house as soon as possible. Everybody says that December and January are terrible months for selling. Are there any special considerations I need to think about?
- I want to learn all I can about the real estate industry in Ontario, but it’s hard to keep track of all the organizations — RECO, TREB, OREA and CREA. What do they do, and who’s looking out for me?
- I’m thinking about buying a fixer-upper and notice that some listings say, “as is.” Are these homes falling apart? Would I be nuts to buy one?
- I’m interested in becoming a real estate salesperson. How do I start?
- What are the pros and cons of working with a real estate agent instead of selling my home myself?
- I want to put my house up for sale. Do all listing sales reps offer Open Houses? Or is this something I have to request?
- What are the key terms I should know before I sign an agreement with a real estate rep to buy a home?