“Ask Joe” is a question and answer column by RECO’s Registrar Joe Richer that appears each Saturday in the Toronto Star.
Richer answers questions from readers on a variety of topics, including how to spot a former grow-op, protecting your deposit and what to disclose in multiple offers.
Are you a home buyer or seller with a question?
- How can I avoid buying a home in a noisy neighbourhood?
- I’m interested in hiring a real estate salesperson who is offering a rebate for working with them. How do I know I will be guaranteed the rebate?
- I understand the government will review the rules around multiple representation. Do you know when this will happen and what could change?
- I’m planning to buy a home after being out of the market nearly 25 years. My real estate broker suggested we use an electronic signature to sign my offer. Is that allowed?
- A home I tried to buy was sold to someone who offered less. Doesn’t the seller have to accept the highest offer?
- Is my real estate agent allowed to collect a referral fee when they recommend a home inspector to me?
- What’s the meaning of extra specializations and letters after a sales rep’s name? Are they important? What should I look out for?
- How RECO can help you settle disputes with a real-estate professional.