“Ask Joe” is a question and answer column by RECO’s Registrar Joe Richer that appears each Saturday in the Toronto Star.
Richer answers questions from readers on a variety of topics, including how to spot a former grow-op, protecting your deposit and what to disclose in multiple offers.
Are you a home buyer or seller with a question?
- Is there a “cooling off” period after purchasing a home?
- I’m thinking about buying a home through a rent-to-own arrangement. What do I need to know?
- We’re first-time buyers and are worried about making the wrong decision during the house hunt. Any tips to help keep us on track?
- I’ve heard that Tarion helps protect consumers in the real-estate marketplace. How is it different from RECO?
- I listed my home with a brokerage, but I have found a buyer on my own. Can I sell my home privately — without the salesperson?
- We are wondering whether we should try to sell our home by auction. What should we know about this type of sale?
- Is a salesperson allowed to offer a rebate as an incentive to work with them?
- My home isn’t for sale, but a couple left a letter in my mailbox that included an offer to buy my place. Are they allowed to do that?